On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 12:17:07PM -0800, Paul Lindner wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 11:44:03AM -0600, Fister, Mark wrote:
> >
> > > Dear mod_perl experts:
> > >
> > > Collectively, we've been at this for more than two weeks and have
searched
> > > various mod_perl archives, all to no avail.
> > >
> > > Symptom:
> > > =======
> > > SIGSEGV after fork().  Very reproducible.  Memory corruption gets
moved
> > > around if the codebase changes.
> >
> > [ SNIP ]
> >
> > The above is the key: moved around.  Therefore, I need Purify or similar
> > tool.  I'm going to have to go this route, since nobody has any ideas.
> > Go go gadget purchasing! :(
> >
> > The only other way I can think of to solve this is to send my module
list
> > to this audience.  Please find it, attached, with home-grown modules
> > deleted.
>
> To further diagnose this problem you might consider using the sigtrap
> module and paying careful attention to your logs...  This at least led
> me to the portion of my perl that was causing the problem.
>
> A simple
>
>   use sigtrap;
>
> The default signal handler used in this module gives you a stack trace
> before the core dump..

Unless "use sigtrap;" itself causes a SIGSEGV, which invokes the
signal handler, which causes a SIGSEGV, which invokes... and all of
a sudden your httpd process goes to many thousands of stack levels
deep and consumes >1GB of memory... ;)

--
\_/} Mark P. Fister             Java, Java, everywhere, and all    \_/}
\_/} eBay, Inc.                 the cups did shrink; Java, Java    \_/}