On Feb 21, 2002 at 15:23:04 -0800, Milo Hyson wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 February 2002 07:55 pm, Geoffrey Young wrote:
> > >
> > > If the redirected request needs that session
> > > data, there's a small chance it won't be there yet.
> >
> > have you seen this?  I don't recall this ever coming up before (which
> > doesn't mean it can't happen :)
>
> Yes, I have seen it happen. Quite frequently in fact. My investigation into
> the problem is how I discovered the cleanup handler wasn't doing its job in
> time.

Want to see something even more interesting? Let your
debugging warnings mention the pid that caused the log
entry and let it run a while on a production server. I see
stuff like...

    (12345) NEW REQUEST
    (12345) NEW REQUEST
    (12345) NEW REQUEST
    (12345) CLEANUP DONE
    (12345) CLEANUP DONE
    (12345) CLEANUP DONE

...often enough to have noticed. If I grep around a bit I
can find many instances of this sort of thing.

In one case I saw page hits that also warned other info with
timestamps. The first four requests were timestamped, the
fifth wasn't, the sixth was, and the seventh wasn't. At the
end of the seventh all seven cleanups fired off. The
difference in time between the first and last timestamps was
almost four *minutes*.

--rick