I am finishing up a sort of alpha version of Data::Fallback (my own name)
which should work very well for cache'ing just about anything locally on a
box.  We  are planning on using it to cache dynamically generated html
templates and images.  You would ask a local perl daemon (using Net::Server)
for the info and it would look first in the cache.  If it isn't in the
cache, it falls back according to where you told it to look (for now
conffile or DBI, but later Storable, dbm, HTTP hit, whatever), and caches
how you tell it to, based on ttl if you like.

I am doing some testing now to see what sort of numbers we can get.  Looking
like 100-200 queries a second, but we'll see if that holds up in production,
under high loads.  I hope to write some docs on it over the weekend and get
at least some alpha version CPAN'd before too long here.

Earl