> Hmmm... isn't that sort of backwards?  It sounds like you're
> considering
>   the problem as building a cache that can be taught how to
> fetch data,
> but to me it seems more natural to build components for fetching data
> and teach them how to cache.
>
> The semantic for describing how something can be cached are
> much simpler
> than those describing how something can be fetched.  I would think it
> makes more sense to do something along the lines of the
> Memoize module,
> i.e. make it easy to add caching to your existing data
> fetching modules
> (hopefully using a standard interface like Cache::Cache).

Yeah, I buy that.  Mostly I have been writing the fetching routines, and in
sort of ad hoc fashion I have started to add on the caching stuff.  I am
just using a hash structure built on the modle File::CacheDir that I wrote.
For me it is a two part problem that is pretty easily divisible.  I have a
function that checks the cache and if it returns false, then I fetch it
according to the fallback.  I would not be opposed to calling a different,
more standard function to check the cache (set up in a more standard way),
and then fetch accordingly.

Earl