Cahill, Earl wrote:
> I am finishing up a sort of alpha version of Data::Fallback (my own name)
> which should work very well for cache'ing just about anything locally on a
> box.  We  are planning on using it to cache dynamically generated html
> templates and images.  You would ask a local perl daemon (using Net::Server)
> for the info and it would look first in the cache.  If it isn't in the
> cache, it falls back according to where you told it to look (for now
> conffile or DBI, but later Storable, dbm, HTTP hit, whatever), and caches
> how you tell it to, based on ttl if you like.

Hmmm... isn't that sort of backwards?  It sounds like you're considering
  the problem as building a cache that can be taught how to fetch data,
but to me it seems more natural to build components for fetching data
and teach them how to cache.

The semantic for describing how something can be cached are much simpler
than those describing how something can be fetched.  I would think it
makes more sense to do something along the lines of the Memoize module,
i.e. make it easy to add caching to your existing data fetching modules
(hopefully using a standard interface like Cache::Cache).

- Perrin