>The reason turning off swap works is because it forces the memory from
>the parent process that was swapped out to be swapped back in.  It will
>not fix those processes that have been sired after the shared memory
>loss, as of Linux 2.2.15 and Solaris 2.6.  (I have not checked since
>then for behavior in this regard, nor have I checked on other OSes.)

In my case, I'm using Linux 2.4.17, when I turn off swap and turn it back
on again, it restores the shared memory of both the parent and the children
Apache processes.

This seems counter-intuitive, as it would seem the kernel memory manager
would have to bend over backwards to accomplish this re-binding of the
swapped-out shared memory pages.

Thus, it leads ones to wonder if some of our assumptions or tools used to
monitor memory are inaccurate or we're misinterpreting them.

-bill