>It's copy-on-write.  The swap is a write-to-disk.
>There's no such thing as sharing memory between one process on disk(/swap)
>and another in memory.

agreed.   What's interesting is that if I turn swap off and back on again,
the sharing is restored!  So, now I'm tempted to run a crontab every 30
minutes that  turns the swap off and on again, just to keep the httpds
shared.  No Apache restart required!

Seems like a crazy thing to do, though.

>You'll also want to look into tuning your paging algorithm.

Yeah... I'll look into it.  If I had a way to tell the kernel to never swap
out any httpd process, that would be a great solution.  The kernel is
making a bad choice here.  By swapping, it triggers more memory usage
because sharing removed on the httpd process group (thus multiplied)...

I've got MaxClients down to 8 now and it's still happening.  I think my
best course of action may be a crontab swap flusher.

-bill