Thanks for all the great advice.

A number of you indicated that it's likely due to my apache processes being
partially swapped to disk.  That seems likely to me.  I haven't had a
chance to prove that point, but when it does it again and I'm around, I
plan to test it with free/top (top has a SWAP column which should show if
my apaches are swapped out at all).

I am in the process of getting a memory upgrade, so that should ease this
problem.  Meanwhile, I can set MaxClients lower and see if that keeps me
out of trouble as well.

I suspect adding the tux server disrupted the balance I had (apparently, I
was tuned pretty close to my memory limits!)

Yes, I am running on Linux...

>One more piece of advice: I find it easier to tune memory control with a
>single parameter.  Setting up a maximum size and a minumum shared size is
>not as effective as setting up a maximum *UNSHARED* size.  After all, it's
>the amount of real memory being used by each child that you care about,
>right?  Apache::SizeLimit has this now, and it would be easy to add to
>GTopLimit (it's just $SIZE - $SHARED).  Doing it this way helps avoid
>unnecessary process turnover.

I agree.  For me, with my ever more bloated Perl code, I find this unshared
number to be easier to keep a lid on.  I keep my apache children under 10MB
each "unshared" as you say.  That number is more stable that the
SIZE/SHARED numbers that GTopLimmit offers.  But, I have the GTopLimit
sources, so I plan to tweak them to allow for an unshared setting.  I think
I bugged Stas about this a year ago and he had a reason why I was wrong to
think this way, but I never understood it.

-bill