Hi Ged,
  In order to try and install mod_perl-1.26 in RedHat
6.2 w/ Apache 1.3.22 I, as ROOT, run the following
in my /home/ssl/mod_perl-1.26:
     perl Makefile.PL \
       APACHE_PREFIX=/usr/local/apache \
       APACHE_SRC=/home/ssl/apache_1.3.22 \
       SSL_BASE=/usr/local/ssl \
       DO_HTTPD=1 \
       USE_APACI=1 \
       EVERYTHING=1
     make
     make install

Then from /home/ssl/apache_1.3.22 I run
     make install

Then I try running
     /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl startssl

Unfortunately I get the msg:
  Syntax error on line 206 of
/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
  Invalid command 'LoadModule', perhaps mis-spelled or
  defined by a module not included in the server
configuration
  could not locate Module SSL (line 206 httpd.conf)

My only recourse is then to rebuild Apache w/o
mod_perl.

I am having a great deal of difficulty installing
mod_perl.  I am not sure it is worth it.  Benefits
seem great, but the hurdles to get there seem
insurmountable.  Please advise.  Thanks.

  I have been reading installation excerpts frm
various sources which include 'Writing Apache Modules
w/ Perl and C', and the internet CPAN sites.  My build
in

  John Kolvereid