Hello,

EF>I will have many different users, users as in database users. So am I
EF>just screwed and won't be able to keep connections open?

Do you mean users as in actual RDBMS level users? In other words, when you
say database users you mean different username/passwords used from, say,
a command-line SQL client?

If your answer is yes then indeed, this is exactly the situation the Guide
is talking about--you're screwed and probably shouldn't keep connections
open. You'll have to incur a connect on each HTTP request.

EF>I am using Postgress, I am wondering how big DBs deal with this sort of
EF>thing. I am also wondering what the actual overhead is in starting the
EF>connection and if there is anything that I could to to limit that
EF>without validating a specific user.

In large DB projects where you expect high levels of concurrency I haven't
heard of anybody using RDBMS-level users for authentication purposes.

Humbly,

Andrew

Andrew Ho               http://www.tellme.com/       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Engineer                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]          Voice 650-930-9062
Tellme Networks, Inc.       1-800-555-TELL            Fax 650-930-9101