At 4:18 PM -0500 3/22/02, Perrin Harkins wrote:
>Modules loaded with PerlModule and PerlRequire are not supposed to
>be loaded again the second time.  I seem to remember that they are
>loaded again when using DSO though, so if you're using DSO you may
>want to recompile as static.  Also, if you have PerlFreshRestart on
>that will cause a reload.

If all you were doing was loading a normal Perl module, the single
load would be fine.  The catch is that in this case we are loading a
Perl module which in turn is registering an Apache module.  The
Apache module is being *unloaded* prior to the second pass through
the config file.  The only way that it will be reloaded is if the
Perl module is reloaded on the second pass as well.

>A couple of people reported a bug that they were seeing which caused
>these modules to be loaded twice anyway.  That sounds like the issue
>you saw with <Perl> sections.  I haven't tested this myself, and
>fixing it would probably require help from Doug.  As a workaround,
>it is possible to do all of your module loading from a startup.pl
>called from PerlRequire, and avoid that problem.  That's what I do.

That doesn't solve the problem because it won't load twice, and the
Apache module won't get reloaded.

>because I don't use any modules that add conf directives.  Maybe
>Gerald will have an explanation of what the expected behavior is on
>his end.  It can't be this much trouble for most people or no one
>would be using Embperl or custom conf directives.

At Embperl 2.0b6 Gerald switched to a new architecture.  The previous
version was just a plain Perl module loaded as a handler by mod_perl.
This version is also an Apache module.

Maybe we need an option for PerlModule that forces a load each time?
--

Kee Hinckley - Somewhere.Com, LLC
http://consulting.somewhere.com/

everyone else's.