Since we are on the topic...and before some says it is WOT, I wanted to ask
a corollary question.

I wrote a simple script to use Open2 as a means of interacting with some
FORTRAN programs I have.  I wanted to create pre and post-processing using
PERL and leave the numerical stuff (and tons of legacy code) to the FORTRAN.
Anyway, the Perl script from a command prompt works -- it sends
pre-processed data as STDIN and catches the processed data from STDOUT
without a hitch.  The moment I try it running Apache 1.33, Perl 5.6.1,
latest version of Open2, and mod_perl the thing just ties up all the
computer's resources.

If I could get it to work then I would be a LONG WAY to really altering the
way we do things at work.

I have read what docs there are with Perl for this. . .but I am wondering if
there are any caveats that I should be aware from using a web-server to
initiate the commands.  Or is there an alternative method I might explore?

thanks!
Ward