Hi there,

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Slava Bizyayev wrote:

> a lot of mess in common perl libraries. What of that could affect the
> installation?

All sorts of things, but I'm still puzzled.  To my mind you do not
yet have enough evidence to point to a particular part of the system.

If your production system were not using Perl in any way I would
suggest that you delete the entire Perl installation and rebuild it
from scratch with 5.6.1.  (Actually I prefer 5.7.2 but I hesitate to
suggest it for production use even though it seems fine to me. :)  If
it were my machine that is what I would do, production or not, because
you really need to be able to rely on your Perl installation and at
the moment evidently you cannot.  Of course there is a risk that
something would break, so you might prefer to rename the old Perl
installation rather than delete it.  You should of course make sure
that the same compiler which built Perl also built mod_perl, for
preference also using the same C libraries.

Have you tried to run Perl's own 'make test' suite?

73,
Ged.