Doug MacEachern wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>A few moons ago we have discussed on the dev list a tool for automatic
>>segfault detection (including multiple segfaults during 'make test') and
>>core backtrace generation. I'm quite frankly tired of explaining again
>>and again that we need a core file backtrace, how to get the core file
>>dumped and generating trace (no offense, just facts). I'm sure there is
>>a better way to do. If we can automate this process, like many other
>>apps do (e.g. gnome/kde apps) this will save us a lot of traffic on the
>>list and frustration on users' behalf and make us all happier.
>

> did you forget about Devel::CoreStack?

If you read the rest of the post I mention it (without telling the name
:). The problem with this module is that it's useful only after you have
the core file. which is not good, because (as I've already explained):

1. Many users have problems getting the core file dumped
2. There can be multiply segfaults with different causes which will
overwrite each other, so we want to catch SEGVs as they happen.
Not talking about the fact that this module is not slick, e.g. you need
manual interaction to help it get to the trace. (it shows the gdb's
*more* pager for long output of loading symbols).