On 4/11/02 at 9:54 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Shrewsbury) wrote:

> Hey gang. Couldn't find an answer to this in the archives. We have a
> DB2 database that we access via mod_perl scripts.  We have been
> getting errors in the Apache log files every morning whenever we
> first try to access the database. The error is:
>
> [Thu Apr 11 09:09:49 2002] null: DBD::DB2::db selectall_arrayref failed:
> [IBM][C
> LI Driver] CLI0108E  Communication link failure. SQLSTATE=40003 at
> /usr/local/ap
> achessl/perl/reports/trans_history.pl line 90
>
> It takes a restart of the web server to eliminate this problem.
> Is this the "Morning Bug" that I am encountering?  I looked at the
> DB2.pm module and it appears that the ping() method has been
> implemented so I would think that this would prevent the "Morning
> Bug" from showing up.  Should I reimplement the ping() method
> according to the Apache::DBI manpage?
>
> -David

I have many internal systems which use Apache::DBI and DBD::DB2. They're often
up for months without being restarted, and I don't use ping(). So, it is
possible. Are you the DBA too? A possibility is that the DB is being brought
down into offline mode during the night for backups. That'd kill your cached
connections.

I'll send a fuller answer when I have a chance to reexamine our set up.

Bill