F. Xavier Noria wrote:
> The fact is that developers in my team have Apache under /usr/local in
> Linux machines, but we would prefer to develop as normal users, not as
> www or nobody, though that will be the user in production.
>
> What is the standard way to configure things for that? We have created
> somehow the Apache directory layout under the root of the project tree
> and call httpd -f project_root/conf/httpd.conf, where we customize the
> user and group (in my case fxn), full paths to log and pid files
> writable by that user, etc. but ServerRoot is /usr/local/apache and the
> original modules under /usr/local/apache are there, so we cannot use
> $r->server_root_relative to access, say, to application config files
> which seems to be standard (and quite natural) idiom. The httpd.conf in
> CVS is a template customized once per-machine with a script.

It doesn't seem worth it to me to go to a lot of trouble to avoid
starting apache as root in development, especially if that's how you'll
do it in production.  I've always just put my modules in
/usr/local/apache/lib/perl where they get picked up automatically (with
no use lib or @INC changes).  I make that directory writeable by my
standard login (a security hole, but it's just my personal machine and
not visible on the Internet), and keep a root shell open for restarting
the server.  That works fine unless you have mutiple users developing on
the same box.

- Perrin