>> The fact is that developers in my team have Apache under /usr/local in
>> Linux machines, but we would prefer to develop as normal users, not as
>> www or nobody, though that will be the user in production.

See the section on configuring Apache using <Perl> sections
in the eagle book. I normally use the approach of having each
user's .*profile export APACHE_PORT and using $Port = $ENV{APACHE_PORT}
or croak "$$: Environment missing APACHE_PORT"; for the user's
config files. Using the "nobody" approach works well enough,
but the separate ports allow developers to have their own server
on a high-numbered port w/o stepping on one another.

--
Steven Lembark                              2930 W. Palmer
Workhorse Computing                      Chicago, IL 60647