> I would think it could be useful in non-mod_perl applications as well
> - you give an example of a user's mailbox.  With scp it might be even
> more fun to have around :)  (/me is thinking of config files and
> such)

mod_perl works very well with the system for keeping track of what boxes are
down, sizes of partitions and the like.  However, a simple daemon would do
about the same thing for say non-web based mail stuff.  When I release I
will likely have a daemon version as well as the mod_perl version, just
using Net::Server.

> What's a `very large amount of data' ?

We use it for tens of thousands of files, but most of those are small, and
they certainly are all small on the 3 GB range.  That is sort of the model
for dirsync I think.  Lots of small files in lots of different directories.

> Our NIS maps are on the order
> of 3 GB per file (>64k users).

Man, that is one big file.  Guess dropping a note to this list sorta lets
you know what you have to really scale to.  Sounds like dirsync could use
rsync if Rob makes a couple changes.  Can't believe the file couldn't be
broken up into smaller files.  3 GB for 64k users doesn't scale so hot for
say a million users, but I have no idea about NIS maps, so there you go.

Earl