Hi Ric,

> I use mod_perl/apache/soap::lite to create an internal
> "application server"
> so that I can distribute processing load from the public
> webserver. This
> also allows me to expose a soap web service to the public if
> I wished to
> give them direct access to a method on this application server, but of
> course they would need a soap client to access this service.
>
> Do you want to just return an xml to your user, or do you
> want to do what I
> do which is do internal RPC using SOAP.

in my opinion a web service has another great benefit - you can sperate the logic and
the front ends. we have here an application running on php/html, and all the logic is
inside this scripts, in case of running on another medium/language (like flash or php
for plain html) you must copy all the logic - you can call this a nightmare.

in this case i think that a solution provides with PRC/SOAP is a good idea, but on
every article i read more, i realize that this technology is still young and just
experimental (e.g. php 4.x).

bart