I'd like to try to disagree here.  I have built several file-related
webapps where I have implemented virtual filesystems which require
special perl modules to access the files at all.  mod_perl takes care of
serving the requests.  If I need a restart, then I can still safely use
graceful.  Admittedly there are times when something could very well get
screwed up, but my solution to that is to develop a better front-end
server with it's own buffer so that the back-end can swiftly serve the
files leaving much more idle time (in comparison to directly connecting
remote client to fileserver) for  backend restarts if needed.

  Issac