Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> At 23:54 20.05.2002, Allen Day wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that if I restart apache while I'm in the middle of a
>> download (MP3 stream), after the buffer in my MP3 player runs out, it
>> skips to the next track -- presumably because the connection was closed.
>>
>> This might cause a problem for you if your users are downloading big
>> files.  They might have to restart from the beginning if they didn't
>> cache
>> the partial download somewhere.
>

> Hmm, if you are serving big files off of mod_perl, memory leaks are the
> least of your problems :)

Well, you can serve big files without reading them into a memory at
once. Why there would be memory leaks?

> That doesn't apply to Apache::MP3 of course,
> for which it's normal, but in no case should your mod_perl server be
> serving your big files.

The reason for not serving big files with mod_perl, is that you don't
want to tie heavy and snappy mod_perl servers to wait indefinitely for
the client to grab their data. If you have plenty of memory or you have
just a few clients (intranet?) that's just fine. This is all discussed here:
http://perl.apache.org/release/docs/1.0/guide/strategy.html#Adding_a_Proxy_Server_in_http_Accelerator_Mode