Greetings,

Have been using modperl successfully now for a couple of years
solely as an accelerator for cgi scripts using Apache::Registry
(know it can do much more!) ala Stas Beckman's approach using heavy
and light webservers with Squid on top.

Setting up new Linux webservers and wanted to upgrade to the newest
versions of Apache 2.0.36 and found your modperl-2.0

Found mod-perl_1.99 at http://perl.apache.org/dist/
Doug MacEachern's installation instructions were excellent and it seemed as
though
mod-perl built, tested and installed fine, actually installing mod-perl_2.0

Now my question.  In the older version,(126) mod-perl created a larger
(heavy)
webserver.  I could then add a startup.pl file to its http.conf file
which used Apache::Registry to load perl and my modules.

I don't see how this works in the new version of mod-perl, because
I don't see a "larger" version of the httpd server anywhere.

When I did the install it just seemed to load into the Perl 5.6.1 libraries.

So how does this work now?  If it doesn't or it would take too much
time to explain it, I certainly can understand and will simply load and
continue to use Apache 1.3.24 and mod-perl 1.26

Did notice in the overview
"The details of these optimizations from the most part are hidden from
    mod_perl users, the exception being that some will only be turned on
    with configuration directives. A few of which include:
    *   Inlined "Apache::*.xs" calls
"
But not sure how to use it.

Thank you for all your hard work on this project,

John Kent
Webmaster
Naval Research Laboratory
Monterey California