reetings.

> ok to try with perl 5.8.0 but i have many modules installed
> with ppm from
> http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages
>
> and those of activestate perl.
>
>  I am able to install ppm package to a perl 5.8.0 i compile
> myself , without
> activestate ppm ?
>
> for instance modules that rely on a binary library like XML::LibXML or
> XML::Parser, and that don't install on win32 with usual perl
> makefile.pl
> etc....

I have been trying 5.8RC1 and I tried to compile/install several modules
that I have
on 5.6.1 - CPAN, not PPM.
At least the following do not build and/or test right (not exhaustive, as I
got tired after a while):

TK                           # C error
Archive::Tar                 # in getting file handles from zlib
PPM                          # depends on the above
MLDBM                        # de/serilized structures do not compare on
tests
Devel::TraceLoad             # ??
Module::Info                 # Serious?
Win32::API                   # Serious? C diagnostic
libxml-perl                  # Fails test
XML-RSS                      # contains XML::RSS.3 in man, unpack fails -
builds otherwise.

Other related modules build e.g.:

XML:Parse builds/test
Compress::Zlib builds/test (after some pain...)

Posted in the hope it may help somebody...

Cheers,
alf