At 12:02 AM -0600 6/6/02, Rob Nagler wrote:
>To solve this problem, we added a letter.  bOP is MVCF, where F stands
>for Facade.  A Facade allows you to control icons, files, colors,
>fonts, text, and tasks.  You can add other components, but we usually
>use text as a catch all, e.g. numeric formats.  Facades can inherit
>from other facades and can be cloned from other facades.  We use this
>to support different skins and co-brands.

<snip>

>A Facade is the first thing set in a request.  You then know what
>tasks are available and what URLs map to them.  Take a look at:
>http://petshop.bivio.biz/src?s=Bivio::PetShop::Facade::PetShop
>All the URLs for the site are contained in this file.  Anybody
>rendering a URL, does it through Bivio::UI::Task.

Two specifically for Rob ...

(1) What are you using to display the nice syntax-colored Perl source
at http://petshop.bivio.biz/ ?

(2) Are you using the term Facade in the same sense as in Design
Patterns p. 185?  If not, could you define what a facade is in terms
of its role?  I'm planning an MVC-type architecture for my web-app
and am looking for a place to put the kinds of data you have in your
Facade - URL mappings, colors, fonts, etc. It seems that some of it
is data that is used strictly by the View (colors, fonts) and other
parts (URL mapping) are used by the View (for generating links) and
Controller (for calling the View or doing a redirect).

... and one for everybody ...

So how is everybody else handling URL mapping? Do others group this
kind of data together with fonts, colors, etc?  And where do you
define it?

Very much appreciating all the MVC discussion ...

--
  Ray Zimmerman  / e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 428-B Phillips Hall
   Sr Research  /   phone: (607) 255-9645  /  Cornell University