On Tuesday, June 11, 2002, at 01:37 PM, Chris Winters wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 13:29, Ray Zimmerman wrote:
>> So how is everybody else handling URL mapping? Do others group this
>> kind of data together with fonts, colors, etc?  And where do you
>> define it?
>
> A single mod_perl handler catches all requests, looks up the URL in the
> action table and dispatches the request to the appropriate handler. That
> handler is free to pass on the request to other actions as well, since
> every part of the system is able to lookup actions based on a key.

Currently OpenFrame does something similar.  We have a slot which
dispatches to an application based on the URL.  However, I think for
future versions applications will be 'slots', and they can just do
something or nothing depending on the URL, which allows multiple
applications to run on the same request, which fixes my 'how the heck do
I make subrequests work' nightmare.

We're also going to provide a 'forced' mvc style Application type in the
next version[0] which will be a container that has a model, a view, and
a controller.  The data that each of the MVC elements provides will
simply be passed from one to the other inside the container.

As what may be a departure from the norm, in OpenFrame templates, or a
templating system is *not* the view part of MVC.  Templates simply
decide where to place the data on the screen  - the view class does all
the formatting and prep work.

Regards,
James.

[0] of course this is the next version that has been being written for
the last 3 months and not gotten anywhere.  Sooner or later I will get
around to turning thought into code, and then all will be right and good
in the world[1].

[1] or at least in my world