> From: Jeff AA [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

Hiya,

my 2 pence worth:

> status] this seems to indicate the Model accepts method calls and
> returns
> data that will be rendered elsewhere. In our planned
> development, there
> is a LOT of tabular data - do you use any standards for the
> data being
> returned to the Controller? eg do you use a struct [ie hash/array Perl
> primitive] or do you return an object? eg a table object etc?

Your M and V need a protocol to exchange data irrespective of what the V is
(email / text, HTML, XML).

> Is this true of your setup? does the Model returned data
> contain lots of
> style hints? Or do you leave this completely to the View
> layer? How does
> the view layer know for example to render an Error cell as RED in HTML
> but blue in Excel due to Excel palette limitations?

The M should signal errors, and then the V should format them as per V
formatting rules.

> > Optimally, the View avoids *ALL* application logic.
> mmmm - so the Model has to say RED rather than ERROR? but
> that wouldn't
> work if rendering something where RED is illegible? Our
> reporting knows
> about basic things like Error, Good, User Date / Numeric preferences
> etc.

I would suggest the M reports an error, not red, and then the V formats it -
possibly in red, depending on its formating rules.

> > At my company we use HTML::Template ... it's damn fast, too
> will look at this - is there a list somewhere?

HTML::Template has a list, although it is very simple and there was little
trafic last time I looked.

Greg

This message and any attachment has been virus checked by
Pfizer Corporate Information Technology, Sandwich.