On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Slava Bizyayev wrote:

> From: "Igor Sysoev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > Can you show me URL with "Vary" and "Expires" that MSIE would cache.
>
> You have this combination when you access my preview with your MSIE by
> HTTP/1.1 with no proxy (it's still old version of

Yes, your response is really cached at least in MSIE 5.5.
I have just investigate this.
are cached by MSIE. The "Expires" header is not needed.
are not cached by MSIE.
Furthermore, responses with "Vary: Any,dummy,words" and
And as I said before responses with "Vary: Any,dummy,words" and
without "Content-Encoding: gzip" are not cached by MSIE.
All these was tested with MSIE 5.5 only.

> > > speaking

> > > ?! No comments.
> >
> > How can I log a real "Accept-Encoding" header if you unset it ?
>
> There is more than one way to do this, using mod_perl.

I mean that handler can do following:

if ($r->headers_in("Accept-Encoding") =~ /gzip/
    and not $r->note("disable_gzip"))
{
    do gzipping
}