Hello collective wisdom,

I have the task of making Apache, mod_perl, and HTML::Mason work together
under RedHat.  I know this is a problem; the most frequently recommended
solution that I've found is to build everything from scratch and link it all
together, without using DSOs.  However, my constraints are that all
configuration management must be handled using RPMs, because we have a
multitude of web servers that must all be maintained in parallel.  My order
of preference is for using downloadable binary RPMs, followed by using SRPMs
and building from scratch, and finally followed by rolling my own RPMs.

So I have a couple of questions that I'm currently researching, and if
anybody here knows the answers, I'd be grateful to hear them:

First, is there a known good binary RPM configuration, a combination of
mod_perl and apache RPMs, from RedHat or another vendor that doesn't suffer
from the silent-segfault problem?

Second, is it possible that building from source RPMs would prevent the
problem?  Occasionally I've seen problems like this arise due to differing
versions of the toolchain, and building from source RPMs would ensure that
the same toolchain was used to build all of the components.

If I find answers to these questions elsewhere before I receive answers from
this list, I'll follow up to myself and share the wisdom.

Thanks,
Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur