Hi there,

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Wilbur, Charlton wrote:

> I have the task of making Apache, mod_perl, and HTML::Mason work together
> under RedHat.  I know this is a problem;

Not necessarily; look at this thread for example...

73,
Ged.

Date: 22 Jun 2002 23:23:01 -0400
From: Chip Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Zac Morris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Jeremy Weatherford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Fascinating segfault at Apache startup

"Zac Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Honestly though Chip I have to pipe up here.
>
> I was a gung ho RedHat supporter when I first got involved in the
> linux world, and I still believe with it's RPMs and GUI tools it's
> still the best for both new users and corporate environments, but
> man, if you wanna do something that not the EXACT OS version<->RPM
> based software version, (hmmm, like DEVELOPMENT) you are SERIOUSLY
> screwed with RPM more times than not.

It depends.  Usually it isn't RPM that is the problem, it's the
-other- software you've installed with RPM.  Dependencies tend to be
an all-or-nothing affair, though, which makes the situation more
complicated.

> So I have spent the last FIVE full days about 10 hours a day setting
> up redhat 7.3 (sans as many of the RPMs as I could possible get away
> with).  Now granted perl 5.6.1 was one of the RPMs I *did* install,
> as was sendmail (since Redhat has REALLY whacked that one up with
> the "assumed" workstation mode, but I at least know how to FIX
> that), but my apache, mod_perl, java, tomcat, etc I built entirely
> from source utilizing my /opt/{appname} everything all together
> strategy.
>
> I now have a pretty swank lil server setup here.  I just
> successfully tested my perl/DBD::Pg connections and i'll confirm
> jdbc to Pg tomorrow and I'll be set for some major develpment
> efforts.

I'm not familiar with tomcat, so I can't really comment on it
specifically.  But, before I came to Red Hat, I was a compile from
source guy, even on production servers.  Lots of reasons, but one was
that I didn't know RPM.  It seemed like a hassle to deal with it for
little things, etc... so I didn't.

My personal suggestion would be to try to work with the default OS
instead of against it.  Sometimes this is impossible, but sometimes it
isn't so bad.  For instance, instead of compiling straight from
source, you could take our RPMs, modify them (such as making apache
live in /opt), maybe throw in a more recent version, and see how it
works.  Likewise, building tomcat, java, etc, as RPMs may save you
time later when you need to rebuild a box, or clone the system, or
should disaster strike.  Recompiling, checking dependencies by hand,
etc, really is time consuming.  But, of course, so is learning RPM :)
It definitely is a difficult road.  Having travelled it myself,
though, I find it to be tremendously better than how I used to do
things.  It depends on your own personal preferences, though, as well
as company policies, your peers' skillsets, etc.  No one answer fits
everything, but I really do think that package management of some kind
(RPMs, debian, etc) offers many superiorities over recompiling from
source.  YMMV :)  There's no one single answer (too much context), but
in general, whatever OS you use, it usually is easier to work with it
and the tools it provides than against it.

When it comes to perl and mod_perl, we've been working to try to make
sure it works reliably from RPMs.  RH 7.3 should work well out of the
box, as should 7.2, once all errata applied.  The rest of this thread
points out a few issues, though, but I think that tends to be issues
with other perl modules that have shared library components.  If you
(or anyone else!) have specific failures or test cases you've seen,
though, I'll look into it and see if it is something we can fix.

Cheers,
Chip

--
Chip Turner                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                              Red Hat, Inc.