We built our own RPM that did source level builds on our
entire system.

So you load the rpm and it in turn executes a build script
that built our entire system. Not just apache, modperl and
mason but also it rebuilt all the modules that were
needed, compiled external binaries, installed the Oracle
libs and drivers and auto configured all configuration
files based on the host it was on and a
host->configuration mapping.

Seemed to work well.

John-