Well it sounds like most of your design goals are pointing you towards
the web interface.  These same goals are what made me choose web even
though I knew that I'd have to make some sacrifices on the interface.
 You'll be able to do it fine on the web, just be prepared to be
flexible with the interface and learn to accept/work around the web's
inherent limitations.  Some thoughts:

>* GD generates graphs on the fly.  I don't know which other softwares do the
>same.

GD sits on top of C's gd library.

>  I would like to continue in the same web front-end path for more
>interactive forms.  May be I will have to fight with Javascript more.

Yes, much more.  But a book I found helpful was 'DHTML and CSS for the
WWW'.  It has helpful examples of various menus and widgets that can be
accomplished on the web to make an interface richer.

And with that, I think we've officially left the topicality of a
mod_perl list. :-)

Enjoy,
Fran