On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:37:58 -0400, Fran Fabrizio wrote:

Fran

>Ron Savage wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:22:15 -0400, Fran Fabrizio wrote:
>>
>>Fran
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>>from first-hand experience, hell my current project has both of
>>

>>>these
>>>things in a web interface, and neither were trivial.  I crafted an
>>>expandable-tree menu (think Windows Explorer style menu) from
HTML,
>>>CSS,
>>>JavaScript and HTML::Template.  I have graphs dynamically
generated

>>Did you consider using my module CGI::Explorer?
>>

>I wasn't aware of it's existence.  I just now downloaded it and
>played
>with the demo.  Unfortunately, it looks like it might not have
>helped in
>my case.  It appears that it is doing a round trip to the server and
>back on every open/close of a node.  That's exactly what I had to
>avoid.

Yes, it does a round trip. Such is life.

>Our tree has > 1000 elements (and growing) pulled dynamically out of
>database.  In a multi-user environment we don't want to be hitting
>the
>server that hard just for a navigational menu for every click of
>every
>user.  We serve up the entire tree when the user logs in, and all of
>the
>state maintenance is handled client-side in terms of what's been
>opened,
>etc...  we never go back to the server unless the user has requested
>refresh of the tree.  I could be wrong in how your module operates,
>that's just from a 3 minute session with the demo.  It's good that
>you've made this available though, most people will have more
>reasonably
>sized and constructed trees than we do and should find that module
>useful. :-)

Thanx.

>-Fran
>
>PS - May want to take a look at it on Mozilla.  There seemed to be
>slight table layout issues on my Mozilla 1.0 (yeah, I need to
>upgrade
>:-) that caused the graphics to slightly misalign.

That may be due to me using some non-standard (Netscape-specific)
HTML. Eg 'absmiddle' as in
$q -> img({src => $image, align => 'absmiddle', width => 17, height
=> 17})

And when Mozilla has stabilized, in a year or so, I'll consider
installing it. Reports of its stability today are not going to sway
me :-). Such, too, is life.

--
Cheers
Ron Savage, [EMAIL PROTECTED] on 27/06/2002