Jean-Michel Hiver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Why is a user "hacking" their URLs?
>
> I can answer that.  http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990321.html
>
> <cite>
>   * a domain name that is easy to remember and easy to spell
>   * short URLs
>   * easy-to-type URLs
>   * URLs that visualize the site structure
>   * URLs that are "hackable" to allow users to move to higher levels of
>     the information architecture by hacking off the end of the URL
>   * persistent URLs that don't change
> </cite>

I generly agree with alertbox, and I agree in this instance.

> i.e. http://bigmegamarket.com/grocery/fruits/bananas/ is cool,
> http://bigmegamarket.com/index.pl?id=231223412&sid=56765454151 is not.

Both true.

However, if the structure were

http://bigmegamarket.com/index.pl/56765454151/grocery/fruits/bananas,
say, with the number being the session ID, the URL then is hackable
within that (good) definition.

> Again it doesn't always make implementation easy :-/

True enough; and my proposal is a bit harder to implement.

I'm a big fan of cookies myself, for the thing they were made for,
namely session tracking.  I share your frustration :-(.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net