At 10:41 AM 07/16/2002 +0100, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
>Hi list,
>
>   I am glad to announce the first release of Petal, the Perl Template
>   Attribute Language module. You will find a rather copious
>   documentation here:
>
>   http://search.cpan.org/doc/JHIVER/Petal-0.1/lib/Petal.pm
>
>   It should be pretty stable, however the more people have a play with
>   it the more likely I am to be aware of potential bugs :-) Tell me what
>   you think!

Interesting work, cheers.

I'm curious though, why you've chosen to implement it as a handler for
XML::Parser rather than as a SAX Handler (or even better, a Filter)?  What
SAX buys (among other things) is the ability for folks to invisibly use
whatever XML parser is installed, including a pure Perl implementation.

Doing Petal as a SAX Filter would mean that it would be totally easy to add
it to the mix in things like AxKit and custom SAX pipeline publishing
systems. So, doing complex, multi-stage transformations like
My::NonXML::SAXGenerator -> Petal -> SomeXSLT -> SomeOtherXSLT come for free.

Anyway, just random thoughts, really. Petal seems nice and it seems a shame
to lock it in the XML::Parser-based-one-off jail.

-kip

Kip Hampton
Perl and XML: http://xml.com/pub/q/perlxml
AxKit: http://axkit.org/