Hi David,

On 22 Jul 2002, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> But Redhat ships it as a DSO.

Debian also, but I think that is only for simplicity. It would be
'expensive' to produce static versions of apache with mod_perl,
or with mod_php or both.

> On the other hand, I've asked a couple local mod_perl junkies I know
> how static was better, and they didn't have any good answers for the
> Intel / Linux environment (though they definitely knew reasons for the
> Windows environment).

The reason for me was 'too many open file handles'. Every http
daemon has a file handle for every DSO module, moreover a file handle
for every log file. After sometime I started to have that error and
found static building the best solution for my problem.
IIRC, DSO is still marked as experimental in apache source.

Last, but not least, conf files look better :)

Ciao, Valerio

 Valerio Paolini, <http://130.136.3.200/~paolini>
 what is open-source about? Learn, and then give back