DD> I've seen a lot of comments which seem to me to say that a static
DD> mod_perl is the "only way to go".

I've been using mod_perl as DSO for more than one year (or even maybe
two) without any problems on FreeBSD/Linux/Intel.  My understanding is
that there was some problems in the past and there are still some
issues on some platforms but Linux/Intel platform is "safe".

DD> But Redhat ships it as a DSO.

DD> Now, on the one hand, I wouldn't just automatically assume that Redhat
DD> knew what they were doing.

I would not trust RedHat to much to do right thing with Perl. They are
know to produce broken mod_perl packages in the past for example.

--
Ilya Martynov (http://martynov.org/)