Two reasons :

1.  My site-specific modules don't necessarily have a common namespace
(or even several namespaces);
they just all live in /site/lib. Without a ReloadDirectories-like filter
every time I add another module,
say, /site/lib/Reports.pm I'll need to add Reports to ReloadModules, and
restart the server.

2.  Much more obscure,  related to HTML::Mason. As I mentioned in my post:

 In Mason components are
precompiled and cached, so that perl code doesn't have to be re-parsed for every
request.

The cached files are require(d), and they end up in %INC.
It appears from ReloadDebug's output that those cached files are being checked by
Apache::Reload,

and if they have been modified - they'll be reloaded. The problem is, if the code has
a syntax

error, that error will occur when Apache::Reload re-require()s that file, and the
error message

will be printed to a log file, not to the browser - which is what Mason would do.

So your browser will simply tell you that 'Internal error has occurred'
ReloadDirectories will simply ignore them, and let Mason deal with
modified files.

Am I still missing something ?

Harry Danilevsky
[EMAIL PROTECTED]