I did send the patch to Matt couple of days ago, but haven't heard back yet.

I suppose I can also brace myslef, add namespaces, and clean up my own code.

As for the versioning, if this patch could be useful in both mod_perl
1.* and 2.0,
can it be applied to both distributions? I don't quite understand why
installing
Apache::Reload from CPAN will cause mod_perl2.0 to be installed, but I'll
try to think some more about it.