Thanks for the link.  I actually don't use functions.
Everything is mostly in MAIN.  Here is a snip of code:

#!/usr/bin/perl -wT
use strict;
print "<body>";
my $r = Apache->request;
$r->content_type("text/html");
$r->status(200);
my $auth_type = $r->auth_type;
$cookie=$auth_type->key;
($user,$hash)=split(/:/,$cookie);
read(STDIN, my $buffer, $ENV{'CONTENT_LENGTH'});
my @pairs = split(/&/, $buffer);
foreach my $pair (@pairs) {
}

What I am doing wrong?  Everytime the script runs the
values of the variables coming in change.  Should I
use the delete function and delete all of the
variables at the end of the script?  @pairs is what
should change, but sometimes does not.  I have tried
to add a undef @pairs before the split, but no luck.

Mike

http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/perl_reference/perl_reference.html#my___Scoped_Variable_in_Nested_Subroutines