From: "Kaye-Smith Adam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Gerald Richter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Peter Bi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 9:46 PM
Subject: RE: NTLM module

I am still having problems with the AuthenNTLM module.

All works fine for IE and Mozilla browsers but when I use Netscape, I am
repeatedly promted for passwords. If I enter my password about 3 to 6
times I will eventually get the full page . If I enter password once, (
and cancel for any further password prompts ) I get only bit of the
expected page.

If I put a sleep (2) in the perl module before it goes to verify against
the SMB server, netscape browser will work albeit somewhat slower.

The other aspect I can not understand is that when the perl NTLM module
is running, it will often exit from sub's other than the handler sub. ie
the handler sub is always called first which calls other sub's but
whilst executing these other sub''s , it appears that something seems to
cut processing short & passes control back to apache - the perl code
never gets a chance to return to the handler module & exit code with a
'return xx'.

I have been observing the perl's progress by looking at entries in the
error.log . I have also put in a variety of print STDERR staements at
key positions to see where the code is exiting.

If for instance I put a sleep command in the perl module, the code will
often exit whilst the sleep is taking place - it appears that the NTLM
module has run out of its allowed time and it has been cut short. The
other conclusion is that multiple threads are running and outputting to
the error.log & confusing me with the overlapping output.

This strange exiting behaviour also appears to occur on all browsers
(once that work ok & netscape that does not work.)

The other error I get is that the username/password is passed ok from
the SMB server verification phase, but then in subsequent calls to the
SMB server, the username/password fails - this occurs during the one
entry of username/password but the SMB server is contacted several times
for verification ( I also check the username & password in the script
before thay are submitted to the SMB server so I know they are correct.)
Would this be because of timeout in the SMB to respond.

I would also expect the SMB server to only need to referred to once, but
the perl module is calling the SMB module 3 times during the one
username/password entry.

I hope the above make sense. I can my log file if this would help.

Regards

Adam