>When we go to several httpd process, it appears that the response to one
>request from a browser which may be made up of many files that need to
>be sent back, these requests can be handled by any of the http processes
>(which is ok by itself ) but when this occurs, a password request(and
>perhaps an SMB query) is made for each of the httpd process.

Exactly one SMB query for each httpd process per KeepAlive Connection (which
can serve many requests)

> The httpd
>processes appear to operate independently of each other, unless the
>browser sends all its requests down the 1 tcp channel.

Yes, that's true.

>I have started to add to the code to log authentications to disc, so
>that each httpd process can also reference this disc file to verify if
>it has authenticated a user beforehand from another process.

I remember there is a module called Apache::AuthenCache (or similar). I
nvere have used it, but it does similar things. Maybe it would be usefull
for you.

>I hope I am going about this the right way..

As far as I can see caching works only if you using Basic Authentication,
for NTLM authetication (i.e. what IE does when it authenticates with
currented logged in user automaticly) can not be cached.

>My more immediate problem is that I am currently losing the contents of
>posted variables in a request packet whenever I use the AuthenNTLM
>module,

I have heared of a similiar problem, but I need to investigate it more,
before I can say anything.

Gerald

P.S. A new release of Apache::AuthenNTLM will be soon available

E-Mail:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Voice:    +49 6133 925131