From: Geoffrey Young [mailto:geoff@;modperlcookbook.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 7:14 AM
To: Mitchel, Jennifer (Jem)
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: FW: mod_perl / PerlAuthenHandler question

Mitchel, Jennifer (Jem) wrote:
 > Steve,
 >
 > I have no objection to replying to the mod_perl list.  I have no idea what is wrong
 >& I
 > am so new at all of this that the more people who might have an idea the better.
 >

 > I am running Apache 1.3.22 and mod_perl 1.21 on a Sun Solaris 2.6 machine.  I'm sure
 > Apache and mod_perl are running as I can successfully grab that out of
 > $ENV{SERVER_SOFTWARE}.  I'm using perl 5.005_03.
 >
 > I am trying use a .htaccess file to allow NT Authenitcation on a directory.
 >However, I
 > am getting a server error
 >
 >> Syntax error on line 6 of /web/content/askLucent/password-reset/.htaccess: Invalid
 >> command 'PerlAuthenHandler', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included
 >> in the server configuration

that's an Apache error saying that the config directive 'PerlAuthenHandler' isn't
recognized by anyone.  this generally means that mod_perl isn't installed or that you
didn't build with EVERYTHING=1, both of which you say you did.

so... you showed us that mod_perl is installed, but not how it was built.  why don't
you
verify that you have the right hook by setting up /perl-status and taking a peek
around.
see the Apache::Status manpage or recipe 1.14 in the cookbook:

http://www.modperlcookbook.org/chapters/ch01.pdf

you will want to check /perl-status?hooks and make sure that PerlAuthenHandler is
marked
as enabled.  of course, you'll need to comment out the offending line in your
httpd.conf
first :)

if PerlAuthenHandler comes back as enabled but you still get that error after
restoring
your original configuration, let us know and we'll try something else.

HTH

--Geoff