Mithun Bhattacharya wrote:

http://public.yahoo.com/~radwin/talks/yahoo-phpcon2002.htm

If nothing else this should be atleast generate some thoughts ??

It does: hooray! Yahoo is moving from a proprietary server-side scripting tool to an open source one. Great news for all of us, since they will help legitimize open source ("the largest site in the world runs on it") and maybe feed good ideas back to the open source world. (Of course Yahoo has used other open source tools forever.)

If you look at the performance graphs they made, mod_perl comes in neck and neck with PHP. We always see mod_perl go faster than PHP in Joshua's tests, but Yahoo was testing with this Ioncube cache that keeps PHP code in memory (like mod_perl). The performance tests were so close that a little optimization on the mod_perl side might actually turn it around.

They didn't make their decision on performance though. They seem to have been most influenced by the idea that perl allows too much flexibility in coding style, although I can't see how PHP is going to help with that.

They also say they plan to continue using lots of perl in all the places they use it now: off-line processing, filling in the includes and dbm files that the server-side script assembles. Perl is not being removed.

- Perrin