Let's prey that those PHP geeks quickly discover the
true joy of working with functionnals (map and al.).

I have often wondered about the ratio of Perl programmers
still using the C-like <for> construct. I guess it's rather low.

Franck.

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Tagore Smith wrote:

> Rob Nagler wrote:
>
> > I think Yahoo Stores is written in Lisp.  I also believe it handles
> > the front and back end.  Would be interesting to know why this was
> > left out of the discussion.
>
>    Yahoo store was originally ViaWeb and was written in Common Lisp. It was
> one of the first large applications made available over the web. Paul Graham
> has an article about it at http://www.paulgraham.com/paulgraham/avg.html
>
>    ViaWeb was deployed using clisp, a very portable, but somewhat
> incomplete, common lisp implementation that compiles lisp to bytecode. I
> believe (take this with a grain of salt, as it's third hand) that ViaWeb
> only presented dynamic content to the merchant, not to the user of the
> merchant's site- it was a web application that built static web sites. Each
> merchant had their own dedicated lisp listener to nteract with.
>
>    This probably isn't the model that Yahoo had in mind, and it might not
> have occured to them that the commercial Lisps have native threads. Using
> clisp would also obscure one of the big advantages to using lisp- many lisp
> implementations compile to native code, so they're very efficient. Also, I'd
> imagine that you can hire just about any programmer to work on a PHP system;
> even if they haven't seen PHP before they'll pick it up quickly (once they
> get used to the weird reference semantics), and most of the work will be in
> learning the libraries. Graham's system uses macros extensively, and from
> other code of his that I've read (Graham wrote a couple of books about
> Lisp), I'd bet that he uses recursion and mapping functions a lot as well. I
> think it would be harder to hire people to work on his system (of course
> you'd probably also get more experienced people, so that might not be such a
> bad thing).
>
> Tagore Smith

ESSENTIAL SOFTWARE - Ingénierie Informatique
Solutions Linux & Open Source en Polynésie française
http://www.esoft.pf/
Tél: (689) 562 395 / 508 288-289

"Lassé des virus?
 Osez Linux, le choix moderne des gouvernements
 et des entreprises Fortune 500"