Tagore Smith writes:
> I think it would be harder to hire people to work on his system (of course
> you'd probably also get more experienced people, so that might not be such a
> bad thing).

This raises the $64 question: If you could hire 10 PHP programmers at
$50/hour or 4 Perl programmers at $125/hour, which team would deliver
more business value over the life of the site?

> Graham's system uses macros extensively, and from other code of his
> that I've read (Graham wrote a couple of books about Lisp), I'd bet
> that he uses recursion and mapping functions a lot as well.

His On Lisp book is a classic on macros--which are similar to closures
in Perl.  You can download it for free: http://www.paulgraham.com/onlisp.html

My guess is that Graham's answer to the above question would be:
Hire two Lisp programmers at $250/hour. :-)

Rob