Michael Forbes wrote:

Well, I've managed to make some significant progress:  I got past that
hang (apparently modperl was having problems with the URL b/c some of
the values were being passed empty... i.e.,
"stage=4&eqtype=All&cont=&restrictflags=12"... notice that cont has no
value.

That sounds pretty bad. Maybe you should go back to mod_perl 1.3, which definitely does not have problems with that.

My next problem, which took four hours to track down, is that it turns
out that mod_perl is choking on null values being retrieved from MySQL. I'm using DBI for the interface, and the actual fetch_row is performing
exactly the way it should... but when it tries to do anything with my
scalar once it has a null in it, it just chokes & sits there until it
times out.

Are you using the pre-fork MPM? If not, do you know if your DBD driver is threadsafe?

- Perrin