On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Steve Hay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble compiling mod_perl 1.27 (with Apache 1.3.27 / Perl
> 5.8.0) on Windows (XP SP1 with MS VC++ 6.0 SP5).
>
> It builds fine with Perl 5.8.0 standard sources, but I'm just trying to
> upgrade my Perl to the slightly patched sources that ActivePerl Build
> 804 uses.  I've built Perl from these new sources with the same build
> options that I used before for the standard source build (no threading,
> and Perl's malloc).  (The output of "Perl -V" is at the bottom of this
> mail.)
>
> I run the following commands to build mod_perl:
>
>     perl Makefile.PL APACHE_SRC=C:/apache
>           INSTALL_DLL=C:/apache/modules EAPI
>     nmake
>
> The first command runs fine, but the second has the following error:
>
>     Apache.xs(1963) : error C2115: '=' : incompatible types
>
> The line referred to by this error is:
>
>     statcache = r->finfo;
>
> I've no idea why this should be causing a problem with the new
> Perl.  If I switch the Perl that I'm building against back to
> the standard 5.8.0 (by simply re-naming directories) and then
> re-run the "nmake" command above then mod_perl compiles and
> links with no errors.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this?
>
> - Steve
[ .. ]
> Characteristics of this binary (from libperl):
>   Compile-time options: USE_LARGE_FILES

I've found the same thing - I believe it's because of the
USE_LARGE_FILES support that ActivePerl 8xx has enabled, and this
runs into a conflict with the standard Win32 apache-1 which
doesn't have such support (in the above, statcache is from the
Perl side, and r->finfo is from Apache). This is still being
looked into ...

One possibility is to recompile Apache with large_file support,
but this is non-trivial. And since the bulk of Win32 development
on Apache is going into Apache-2, it may be hard to get an Apache
developer to look at this.

By the way, mod_perl-2 (for use with Apache2) compiles fine with
the ActivePerl sources.

--
best regards,
randy kobes