Paul Simon wrote:
I started out with apache1.x. It didn't make sense
using it, since apache2 was built to work with
window's native environment, according to my
understanding of the documentation. Plus, I read that
apache1.x doesn't serve concurrent requests on
windows. Doesn't that defeat a large part of what a
web server (and mod_perl) is supposed to do?
It does. But perl interpreters weren't thread-safe, so serialization is the only way to make it work at all. It is sort of a known fact that mod_perl 1.0 on win32 is not very useful in production.

See:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/getwet.html#Installing_mod_perl_for_Windows
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/os/win32/multithread.html#Does_it_really_matter_