> My understanding is that database access via mod_perl is pooled, but only
> per-httpd.  So if I had 10 active httpds running, I would have 10x(number of
> connections per pool).

Not necessarily, that would be your MAXIMUM number of simultaneous
connections, unless you connect to all the datababases when a children
is spawn (which would be pretty dull methinks, I prefer lazy
algorithms).

> In contrast, my Java/JSP/Servlet solution has a single pool.  I'm
> trying to evaluate mod_perl to use instead of my current Java-based
> solution, but the potentially high number of database connections
> scares me.

True, however there are many things you can do:

* The easy solution: increment your database maximum simultaneous
connections

* I _think_ that mod_perl 2 on Apache 2 might solve your problem since
it's threaded (list, am I right here? I'm still working on mp1 for the
most part)

* As a last resort, you can use SQL Relay [1] which looks like an ok
workaround

* Finally, your problem is only a problem if you're running lots of
different applications accessing lots of different databases with lots
of mod_perl processes :)

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlrelay/

Cheers,
--