> My understanding is that database access via mod_perl is pooled, but
> only per-httpd.  So if I had 10 active httpds running, I would have
> 10x(number of connections per pool).

The number of connection per "pool" (it's really just a cache) is normally
one, so you have one per process.  You would only have more than one if
you are using multiple databases or multiple logins top the same database,
which you should avoid if possible.
> In contrast, my Java/JSP/Servlet solution has a single pool.  I'm
> trying to evaluate mod_perl to use instead of my current Java-based
> solution, but the potentially high number of database connections
> scares me.

If you have 10 requests that need to use the database, they will be using
10 connections no matter what technology you run on.
If you run the suggested front-end proxy setup to serve static content,
then only request that actually need a database connection will go to
mod_perl.
- Perrin